Author Topic: 5.16 Episode Discussion--Rise  (Read 7080 times)

keds

• The Blood King
  • Torment-- I haz your #.
    • Skyfyreit
5.16 Episode Discussion--Rise
« on: October 25, 2015, 11:18:24 AM »
5.16 Episode Discussion--Rise

Written by:  Michael Grassi
Directed by:  Paolo Barzman

Bo and her allies face off against the ultimate threat.

Episode Recaps, Articles, and Reviews

Cinefilles with MG post episode

ScreenCaps

Track List
"I Wanna Show You" - APM Music, LLC
"London Boys" - APM Music, LLC
"The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss)" - Rudy Clark
"Dark Runs Out" - Amy Stroup
"Don't Pick Me Up" - APM Music, LLC
"I Hope This Isn't The End For You (Instrumental)" - The Sunparlour Players
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:55:32 PM by keds »

keds

• The Blood King
    • Skyfyreit
Re: 5.16 Episode Discussion--Rise
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 10:09:45 PM »
Well hellfire and damnation.  You get your doccubus.  ;-)

The gang is burning in the crackshack.  But wait!  Bo left a horse shoe and Bruce somehow appeared there....after they get out?  Because Bo called him.... knowing he would arrive after the burning beams were falling on their head?  Don't exactly ask me how Dyson could stop holding the beams for the floor to magically stay up for the few seconds it took them to leave the building with the horseshoe? 

Kenzi is convinced this was a masterful plan, the rest are like yeah......whatever.

Bo chisucks Tamsin to death as a fake out to daddy. Dearest HellFather says nope, you are outsmarted because you are not using your Pyrripus dick.  And I'm a man.   Dad goes on a cute little tirade about Tamsin and Dyson and Kenzi leaving her and Lauren constantly breaking her heart.  Bo is super sad that Daddy figured out her ruse after 2.6 seconds, and then is shamed and broken into submission.  Just like the horse she is.

(Everyone has ridden her, i'm just saying.)

After Dad asks the broken horse to step forward she chi sucks the city and kills EVERYONE..except the scooby gang (cause magic horse shoe) and of course, the ever important Tamsin, who's rape baby saves her life, only to kill her an hr later. 

The gang escapes in Vex's Love RV, and they comment on his decor, while being chased by no one.  While being chased by no one, Dyson and Lauren have heart to heart about who should get Bo.  Dyson says you can TOTALLY have her for now.  It's worth it.  Just know that I will be here where yer dead.  Yeah, says Lauren.  That is so important and good.  Suddenly...the come upon ALL THE DEAD PEOPLE.  lots of cops.  When Hellfather raises them, they start shooting, but LUCKILY!  Vex's van is protected by the magical horseshoe.   It's like a condom.

Bojack Horseman, realizes that she hasn't soul sucked her friends yet, so she goes out to kill them and take the magical condom away.   In the meantime, Tamsin got the key from Bo's mouth during their I'm gonna kill you succubus kiss... and miraculously finds the RV in the middle of Toronto pretty quick.  With a horde of zombies awake.  She doubts them into oblivion because she's a natural Mary Sue BADASS whenever the script calls for it.    I have to say the immediate movement between crying on the floor of the cage to I'm a perfectly powerful Valkyrie was a little much.

Anyway back to Bo, who this show should be about but sometimes isn't.  Bo FLIES to the RV and lands on its roof.  Kenzi immediately decides that she's Bo's heart and goes to work her anger horse issues on the roof of the RV.  Bo snaps out of it after 3 minutes of "you actually haven't been here this year" dialogue, only to steal the horseshoe condom and BREAK IT IN TWO.  OH NOES!

The Bo brigade gets chisucked almost to death, but then Bo remembers loving them all and how they "tasted" and comes back from her darkness. 

They figure it all out in the van.  To figure out the miracle of how Bo resisted her darkness, TAMSIN says reverse psychology stuff, cause's she amazing.  So amazing..  You get a lot of speeches from Dyson in the van about how he'll always be there in his wolf sotto voice and Lauren's chilling to the Vexmobile movement.  Kenzi looking serious.  Oh no dad's back.  Bo steps out and has a fight with them.  Meanwhile, Tamsin is preggers.  Tamsin is in labor.  Tamsin's gonna die.  Tamsin gets lots of help from Kenzi and Lauren.   Tamsin looks emotionally vulnerable.

Bo wins the fight by saying she loves and her dad doesn't?  And breathes Horse Fire into Hades face.  And Hades is gone.  Bo stands on the RV roof because staging is important and breathes back red chi into the whole city of faeronto..you know two hrs after everyone has been deceased and decaying.  No worries.  Bo is Jesus.

But, tragically dead is still Tamsin, who dies after another I love you speech to Bo, where Bo swears to protect her baby for ever and ever amen.

Mark and Vex hold hands at the back of the RV because m/m actual facetime kissing is too hard for the audience?  Comeon show, don't tease your amazing gay male rep you went on and on about at that GLBT Panel!  Bi rep 4 dudes!

We cut away to Bo giving the Baby to Kenzi, because Kenzi is such a good mom and is going back to Spain to live her human life, once again.  Bo finds Lauren hanging out on her Beast, and Lauren says a bunch of things about wanting to make it work.  Bo is skeptical, I mean Lauren was such an asshole and broke her heart over and over.  Because Bo never broke Lauren's heart ever.  Then Lauren proposes and Bo says yes!  kindof.  They make out and Dyson walks up to say, hey what about me?  I mean I know I'll get the left overs.

Time jump 10yrs later and Tamsin's baby Dagny is all grown up and the writers thought she had succubus powers so they tried to reinvent the Kyle/Bo thing in a car, but Dagna is not a succubus?  This was weird.  Anyway, Mark's a cop with teen mustache.  And he stops the loving from happening in the car and takes her to the Dal, where Dyson makes her sign the fae log book and talks about how his colony is now unaligned.  Dyson is the new Barkeep.  Lauren comes up and syringes her arm to take samples and Bo talks to her about her glowing hand print on her chest and that evil never dies.

THE END

It had its funny as hell plot moments, and it did have great pacing.  Sometimes these narratives make me laugh and laugh out loud and I will always and forever be sarcastic about it.   No offence to all of the Tamsin is cool people or the Show is Amazing people.  Congratulations on your open ended doccubus folks.  My crow pie is sitting around here somewhere.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:27:17 AM by keds »

SL3

• Succubus-in-training
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:35:59 AM »
Wow so thats it.

I feel kind of exhausted by the whole thing. So good that they did after all go for Bo & Lauren together at the end. I thought after the IO panel that it could go either way. The journey though, with all the trolling & fanbaiting & cuts & stilted scenes & lack of follow through - it has just taken so much of the magic away.

I enjoyed the finale as a whole. Could have done without the coda & the whole rape baby storyline was dire - but loved Dark Bo. Would have liked to see a few more episodes of her taunting everyone :D - Dark Bo confronting Evony, can you imagine! It was great that they had some decent time to close it all out at the end after defeating the big bad too. Something felt a little off though, like this whole season seems kind of hollow, almost like this was the spin off, all about the Ancients and Tamsin. At the end of it all, I hate to say it but I think I ultimately preferred S4.

Still, yay Doccubus!! ... & may I never ever ever get suckered in by a TV show again!  :(grouphug)

cebii

• Pod Girl
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 01:14:16 PM »
I liked it. 
I liked how the whole gang was involved and the scooby van.
The plot and the acting had some holes, but I'm used to that.  As others have said, the pace was good, balance of action and emotion was good.  It was fun to watch.  I loved how they opened it up to a movie or mini series or whatever else.  Why wasn't Kenzi in the last scene? 

WanderingBo

• Sidekick
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 03:25:22 PM »
I can't believe its over. I was so emotional. I cried so much after watching it,not so much for sad scenes, but because having to say goodbye to this show, was like having to say goodbye to an old friend whose helped me through so much of my personal struggles and inspired me to be a better person because that's what the show has done for me.

Of course, I cried many times for the scenes as well:
-I cried when Hades was taunting Bo about everyone leaving her and breaking her heart.
-I cried when Tasmin died. Even though  I didn't like her character that much, it was still a super sad scene.

As for what I thought of the episode:
-Doccubus proposal( sort of). I am so happy for this. Just wish we could've seen more about Bo and Lauren's life together after this.

- The open-ending seemed to be set up so that if there was a spin-off, it would be about Bo's half-sister and Tamsin's daughter Dagny aka Tamsin 2.0. Let's
just hope if they do make a spin-off, Bo and Lauren will still be major/main characters in it along with her and we will get to see more doccubus.

-Happy that they gave Dagny a female love interest for her first love. Confused on how she would've killed her first love as a Valkyrie. That I saw, Valkyrie's didn't have any powers that killed, other than taking souls to the afterlife maybe, but the person has to be already dead first for that happen? I just hope Dagny gets to see her presumably human girlfriend again and that that poor girl gets clued in on whats going on and not always wonder why her first love got
"arrested".

-Disappointed that they didn't give Mark and Vex a kiss or atleast have Vex actually ask Mark out. All we got was a handhold that could've been taken as either
romantic or platonic. I tend to get the feeling that its coming across as Mark seeing Vex as more like a fatherly figure and role model to look up to than him
having any romantic feelings towards Vex.  Love that this show had such great representation of female/female relationships, but they could've done better on the male/male front.

-Still think these last two seasons had focused on Tamsin way too much and seemed to have forgot that Bo was the main character. I only wish we had more Bo and Bo storylines towards the end. At least we got a lot of Bo in this last episode, but there was still quite a lot that revolved around Tamsin.

-I'm gonna miss Bo and Lauren so much, but especially Bo because I could relate to her in a lot of ways. It's rare to find a character you connect with so much and its hard to say goodbye when you have to accept that there will be no more stories told about that character, no more scenes filmed, no words said by that character, and its over for good. Crying so much thinking about it. It really is like having to say goodbye forever to an old friend. :(

KobizenOne

• Pod Girl
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 06:08:41 PM »
 O_o ... o_O ... This is the most underwhelming series finale I have ever seen. Lauren and Dyson finally have their heart to heart about Bo and they decide the doctor is the better fit for her? Really?! And not only did Tamsin finally die on her last life giving birth to her daughter, but the way how they ended it leaves it open. Was Rachel Skarsten telling the truth on doing a Tamsin/Valkyrie spin-off in one of her past interviews (somewhere between season 3 and 4)? There are a lot more questions that still need to be answered!

UGH! I am SO disappointed in this! It started out wonderful but ended terribly. SEE! This is what happens to a show when the original showrunner (Michelle Lovretta) leaves after the first season.

If a spin-off is coming, then I demand that Dagny and Kenzi be the main characters. Plain and simple!
"Oh my god! Total 911! Goblins have stormed our kitchen and they are eating our Sugar Pops!"

Medusa

• Succubus-in-training
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 10:21:41 AM »
If a spin-off is coming, then I demand that Dagny and Kenzi be the main characters. Plain and simple!

definitely. the other characters could have minor appearences, including evony and bruce. plus, its kenzi, one more reason for the spin-off to exist. in my imagination, the spin-off (suggestions for its possible name, please) would be about kenzi rising dagny till they meet bo again

cebii

• Pod Girl
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 11:10:27 AM »
I wonder if they could afford Ksenia for a series - Orphan Black provides a lot of exposure for her.

ILoveMorrigan

• Succubus
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 05:36:42 PM »
I wonder if they could afford Ksenia for a series - Orphan Black provides a lot of exposure for her.

But how long will she be on Orphan Black? I can see her being in episodes next season, but "Orphan Black" isn't exactly a long term series for most characters. I do hope Delphine is one of those characters though because No Delphine, No Orphan Black. Is Ksenia still part of "Star Wars", that will possibly raise her attention meter.  

Money is a factor but I think if Ksenia really wanted to do it she would; I'm not sure she does currently because she just left in season 5A to do other projects so I'm not sure she's ready to be Kenzi again so soon. I know she loves the character, but I can see her wanting to branch out since the gang's not there; if they were it would be "Lost Girl" still and if that's the case why end the show?  

Honestly, I'd rather see a prequel than a spin-off to the series; unless that spin-off is going to be about Bo and Lauren there isn't any main character I care enough to see in a spin-off. I like Kenzi, but without knowing which version of Kenzi I'm going to be seeing I probably wouldn't watch a spin-off like I did the show because I disagreed with Kenzi on a lot; I would watch episodes to see Bo and Lauren but I don't think I'd be into it as much as "Lost Girl". I wouldn't watch a Dyson spin-off unless the episode was Ciara, Cayden, or Stefan heavy and that would mean it's a prequel, although I wouldn't watch that prequel because I'm not a Dyson person.

A Tamsin prequel I might occasionally watch like a Kenzi one or spin-off but only if Tamsin was like her introductory self; if she's like her post "The Kenzi Scale" self I wouldn't watch.  

I would still love to see a prequel about Trick, Aife, and Isabeau even though I know how their story ends. I find this trio interesting and it would give us insight on things we don't know such as how clans interacted before the divide, what were the interactions like involving Dark and Light members, how did Trick and Isabeau meet, what was Isabeau really like; is Isabeau really a succubus and if not then what and how does that plus blood sage equal succubus? What was Trick like really when she was alive? What was his relationship with Aife like before Isabeau died? Where was Aife when her mother died? What was Aife like before Isabeau died? What might Trick have used his powers on before stopping almost completely? Great dynamics, unknown stories, and interesting characters...I'd love to see this.  

I'd also take an Evony prequel or a spin-off post her getting her powers back because Evony so would have gotten them back; she would have let Lauren live as well, but made a threat if she saw her again she would kill her. I think Evony would admire her play and worry over Bo's retaliation if she attacked. Evony was another character I found really intriguing; her banter and cleverness would make for some interesting times.  
Evony: "And we have dental!"
Twitter - @Raving_Ranter

WanderingBo

• Sidekick
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 09:42:20 PM »
If they do make a spin-off, they seem to be setting it up so Dagny will be the main character. I just hope Bo and Lauren would be major characters in it as well, but that's probably highly unlikely because if Bo was a main character too, it would just be like another season of Lost Girl and not really a spin-off. I would love to see Bo again though. I don't know why they ended the series. It seemed to be getting good ratings and seems to be very popular from what I saw. Only thing I could think of is that they had to end because most of the cast didn't want to work on it anymore. Like, Zoie's in Dark Matter now, Ksenia is on Orphan Black, K.C. Collins left a couple of seasons back to be on another show which is probably part of why they killed off Hale, etc. 

keets

• Sidekick
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 02:51:49 AM »
As much as I did not like the Tamsin character, nor what they did with her arc, I did enjoy the send off of her character. And not because they killed her. I didn't want her dead any more than any of the rest of the characters.  What I always wanted from the Tamsin character was consistency, which they really never delivered. That scene where she marches through the cops and doubts them into their shift being over, was reminiscent of what I saw when they first introduced Tamsin. 

I could have done without the birth, the rape baby part of this story; it got in the way of a very complicated plot already (not even mentioning the horrible message and lack of dealing with consent issues ever).

I did enjoy the visual at the end, and what Tamsin said when a Valkyrie dies: "they don't call it dying, they call it rising." That was sort of beautiful to me.  Lost Girl has frozen moments like that; stunning memorable visuals. And seconds later we're back to watching a Batman and Robin (back in the day) like scenario, of pop-up bubbles with words like: "Bang" and "Pow" as the special effects.

Oh well! This episode smashed a lot of stuff in to one finale. I loved Vex Scooby Van and the whole Scooby gang together. I've come to enjoy Dyson; they took forever for him to change, and then did it mostly all in one episode, but they did change him. Not buying the line where he will wait around for Bo.  Bo doesn't want him like that anymore. I saw that conversation as tossing a bone to a lesser ship that has to be hurting over the end. Lauren took comfort in the fact he would be around for her, but he will never replace Lauren. No one will.

ER. was an excellent villain. I'm not sure what Bo did at the end there? Does anyone know? Did she kill him with love? Or send him back to Tarterus with Love? She said she had Tricks blood, and that she loved him, then his face changed like WTF? And it looked like she pumped him full of something that was not chi..??

Kenzi was great, and there were some really funny moments between all of them. I've always liked it best when the whole cast is used, they work so well as an ensemble.

Idk. Maybe because it's over, and there will be a hole in my television life, that I'm just going to say I enjoyed the finale. I enjoyed the last 4 episodes, they had more continuity than all of season 4 and most of season 5. There are many things that could have been better, many things that maybe they could have left out.

But, still.

Doccubus on my screen is a thing I'm going to miss. I'm going to miss hoping for Doccubus on my screen, and miss being angry at what a bonehead fawning yes man Dyson can be, and what a screen suck Tamsin is. I'm going to miss Trick sharing his deep knowledge of all things Fae, and being pissed at him for withholding so much from Bo. I'm going to miss Benzi forever.

I was disappointed that they killed off Aife, she was one of my favorites and wanted to see more of Aife than less. (IC was so fantastic)

Evony's story was left unfinished and also felt unsatisfying. They missed a good opportunity for more human/fae conflict, with the added twist of Evony's perspective. I would have preferred that to the Valkyrie story line.

RIP Trick and Tamsin, (i guess). Not Hades, and he isn't dead anyway.

No to a spin off for me.  Not unless they have Bo and Lauren and Kenzi as return cast (and Vex and Evony).

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 03:00:16 AM by keets »
Oh how I wish I was a Succubus again!

Sally

• Succubus-in-training
  • @sheaven
    • Lez Check
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 03:00:46 PM »
I loved it!

Hi, guys!

RH

• Succubus-in-training
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 04:14:27 PM »
Well it's over and truthfully Im glad. LG proved itself to be ran by a bunch of monkeys who have no idea what basic principles of plot consistency or characterization is. I did like this as a finale though, they tackled a lot of things in this episode. Tamsins final death was nicely done, with LG WTF I figured they'd retcon the "Valkyries die in childbirth" and have her live but having her actually go out I liked. Having her pine for Bo until the end & making her "legacy" all about Dagny was dumb but considering its LG not surprising.

I was surprised Doccubus ended up together, there were signs but once again its LG after all but I'm glad they gave Bo & Lauren a happy end while leaving it open to whether or not they got their forever (that's what I wanted). LG was often guilty of telling us & not showing us something plot wise but I felt the last scene was completely unnecessary & sullied the ending, I took Bo at her word when she made her promise to baby Dagny so I didn't need to see it. Also Kenzi & the writers attempts at Benzi fan service made Kenzi come across as self important & needy, something I hoped we were done with.

keds

• The Blood King
    • Skyfyreit
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 06:06:13 PM »
For what it's worth, the show will always be treasured for a sexualized on screen presence of protagonist f/f that wasn't sweeps.  Ending on a doccubus note, even without the big build we were hoping for is still worth something big.

I think the writing has been haphazard, and all over the place with bad consistency and a focus on plot instead of character.  I think this last episode was no exception in placing the emphasis on several wrong notes including the coda. 

Wish it had been more visceral instead of surface at points.  Glad it's over.... it's been a roller coaster. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 07:08:48 PM by keds »

Kira

• Enslaved Human Doctor
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »
Well DOCCUBUS FANS this is for all of US  :(grouphug) :(grouphug) :(grouphug) :(grouphug) :(grouphug) :(grouphug) :(grouphug) :egyptian: :egyptian: :egyptian: :egyptian: :egyptian: :egyptian: they are together at the end. :(w00t) :(w00t)

This was fantastic. As we all wanted, Doccubus was endgame.

Now that the show ended I can understand many things... They really did good enough to keep the atention of the mayority of audience... and this is the reason why they did the things they did with Doccubus, whose story was absolutely a roller coster. 

Of course, we would have enjoyed the show more if Bo would have chosen sooner, clearer and more aparent but if she had done it in that way, the rest of audience would have stopped watching the show. They needed to keep the whole audience to give the main message: I will live the life I choose. And IT WAS GREAT, because it is a message that needs to be received by that whole audience, not only for LGBT community.

LG gave its message, an important one to the society and this is its legacy. LG was the first show that was not made for LGBT audience that ended with a lesbian couple as the endgame. It has an infinite merit and we should be grateful for this.

They needed to keep all the ships sailing up to the end to give their message to as many people as possible.

It was very hard for Doccubus fans that had to keep believing in them, sometimes at the limit of abandoning the ship, and I have to admit that they could have put more emphasis at Lauren and Bo love at least at the end

For me, Lauren was the true love for Bo from season 1. In one way they put the perfect signals to say it. In 4 of 5 seasons' final episodes there was a Doccubus kiss, finale of the whole show couldn't be the exception.

I'm a little surprised that there are not too many reactions at the final episode, I think we were so relieved that we just needed to rest.. :(lol) :(lol) It took me one week to write something..

I loved this episode because we got our Doccubus ending, Kenzie/Bo and Dyson/Lauren true friendships, Vex/Mark whatever (but I think there is love there), great evil Jack and a little dark BO.

There are lots of things I missed in the show, and watching a super evil Bo controlled by her evil dad was one of them. It was very very short. I would have loved watching Bo super evil for several episodes.... OMG LG was great but it could have been a masterpiece.

One thing is clear, LG leaves the door open to great stories.

THANKS LG, THANKS doccubus.com. This has been an unique experience and I enjoyed it immensely. :(grouphug) :(grouphug)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 09:26:12 PM by Kira »
"..No, It's about us"