Author Topic: Episode Discussion S4:E9-- Destiny's Child  (Read 31448 times)

keds

• The Blood King
  • Torment-- I haz your #.
    • Skyfyreit
Episode Discussion S4:E9-- Destiny's Child
« on: January 11, 2014, 02:28:37 PM »
Episode Discussion S4:E9-- Destiny's Child

Written by: Steven Cochrane
Directed by: Steve DiMarco

Bo resolves to go to hell and back to get the answers she’s been searching for, with or without her friends' support. Meanwhile, Kenzi's determined to uncover what Trick's hiding.

Episode Related Articles, Reviews, and Recaps

Showcase Blog 4.09

Doccubus.com Live Recap 4.09                         No White Noise 4.09 Destiny's Child
The Loop with EA 4.09                                      Bitch Stole My Remote 4.09
Spoiler TV What did you think 4.09?
MehlsBells on 4.09 with NoWhiteNoise
Valksy and Mahlers5th on 4.09
Snarker on 4.09
Drinks at the Dal Ep. 38 Destiny's Child
We are Unaligned 4.09

ScreenCaps

TrackList

"Spring Flowering" - APM Music LLC

Thanks Canuck.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:53:48 AM by keds »

ZPLover

• Insatiably Curious Human Dr.
Re: Episode Discussion S4:E9-- Destiny's Child
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 11:11:53 PM »
I knew Trick was the 3rd big bad.. that was my guess.   :(nod)

swarm00

• Succubus
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 11:54:03 PM »
I knew Trick was the 3rd big bad.. that was my guess.   :(nod)

:(thumb)

Finally though, they're talking about Trick's treachery.

Becca817

• Enslaved Human Doctor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 12:24:24 AM »
So is Rainer being Bo's destiny just like a big middle finger to the shippers out there?

Gotta say that ending and all definitely threw me for a loop. 

mangababe

• Succubus-in-training
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »
So is Rainer being Bo's destiny just like a big middle finger to the shippers out there?

Without having seen the episode yet (waiting for it to go up on Showcase) - yes, that's what it sounds like.

Are we sure that Steve Cochrane isn't an alias for Russell T Davies?  Sounds like we're getting the Children of Earth treatment.  :(suspicious)

A zombie apocalypse is no excuse for abandoning good manners and proper etiquette.

Cleo527

• The Blood King
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 12:47:57 AM »
I don't think Trick is the third big bad. This was about his past - where, granted he was a horrible person. The present-day Trick is different. For one thing, he's trying to be less of a coward.

And obviously Bo is under some sort of Wanderer/Kyle Schmidt spell. This has nothing to do with the shippers.
Mangababe, you'll have to watch tomorrow and see for yourself.

ETA: Or maybe I'm totally wrong and this thing with Kyle Schmidt is happening for realsies.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 12:55:10 AM by Cleo527 »

Baby Doc

• Succubus
  • Wandering
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 01:01:52 AM »
Horf on Dyson hitting on Lauren when he hands her the knife. At least Lauren asserts that Bo is her choice.

Here's a theme: Freedom as commitment.

I've been barely paying attention to my silly theo class but here it goes.

People often mistake freedom for the ability to choose whatever you want, whenever you want. In Bo's case, I think that that's what she's thinking. Especially in that Una Mens scene in an earlier episode (they've started to blur together because this season just sucks) when she's like, "I don't play by your rules."

The problem with this "freedom" is that you become a slave to circumstance. Your choices change because you are swayed by external forces. And because you can't stay with one thing, the experience doesn't deepen or grow.

In Lauren's case, freedom is a form of commitment. She makes a choice freely -- to love Bo-- and no matter what happens, it doesn't change. Even if she faces all sorts of crap, she stubbornly stays true to that commitment. This freedom enables Lauren to develop and mature because she is anchored by this commitment.

Bo doesn't have that anchor. She flits back and forth. She doesn't even have Kenzi anymore. What a dick move to tell DyLo that she loved them both and Kenzi is just in the background. Dafuq.

ETA: Thank you, Kedrie <3
“Before you act, listen.  / Before you react, think. / Before you spend, earn. / Before you criticize, wait. / Before you pray, forgive. / Before you quit, try.”  -William Arthur Ward

Baby Doc

• Succubus
  • Wandering
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 01:15:59 AM »
I don't think Trick is the third big bad. This was about his past - where, granted he was a horrible person. The present-day Trick is different. For one thing, he's trying to be less of a coward.

And obviously Bo is under some sort of Wanderer/Kyle Schmidt spell. This has nothing to do with the shippers.

ETA: Or maybe I'm totally wrong and this thing with Kyle Schmidt is happening for realsies.

Why does Kyle have to be good looking? Ugh. I hate this. FML. Are people shipping this for realz?

What about Team Human, show?
“Before you act, listen.  / Before you react, think. / Before you spend, earn. / Before you criticize, wait. / Before you pray, forgive. / Before you quit, try.”  -William Arthur Ward

lb7707

• Pod Girl
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 01:17:52 AM »
Not sure if they are shipping it for real but I have seen 2 ship names already - Boner and RainBo.

Becca817

• Enslaved Human Doctor
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 01:18:47 AM »
Not sure if they are shipping it for real but I have seen 2 ship names already - Boner and RainBo.

Oh my gosh lol I hope they go with Boner...

Baby Doc

• Succubus
  • Wandering
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 01:19:17 AM »

Those are actually pretty clever if this all wasn't incest creepy.

Cleo527

• The Blood King
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 01:21:11 AM »

Why does Kyle have to be good looking? Ugh. I hate this. FML. Are people shipping this for realz?

What about Team Human, show?

People will ship any fucking thing. This wanderer and Bo thing is a temporary obstacle to the "family" getting together.
I guess the enemy and "soulmate" reference is clear now. Soulmate is obviously in heavy quotes.

sbsneech

• Insatiably Curious Human Dr.
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 01:27:02 AM »
So....In 3x09 (The Dawning episode) Dyson and Bo run through a door as this chase a monster that slashes Dyson in the chest. They stand in a room and that's where Dyson gives Bo the I love you talk to me in a hundred years speech. Bo gets attacked by monster and dives on floor for key. Dyson runs through another door and sees the caretaker. Caretaker says "Subconscious is such an extraordinary playground. I can't wait to watch the next part unfold".

In this episode as Dyson goes to get gun, he walks through the same room. When he walks into locker room hits locker and then talks to Lauren he is in the same room as caretaker was.

Are we still in The Temple? I'm doubling down and saying yes.

mkc1989

• Pod Girl
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 01:32:48 AM »
Actually, there both names people at The L Chat came up with as a sarcastic joke.

Docrocker

• Sidekick
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 01:33:42 AM »

If you were talking about another chat room, was definitely joking around (I was the one who suggested Boner).  At this point, I know quite a few people who have disengaged from serious analysis of the show, and are now just enjoying being part of the fandom.  This episode had quite a bit of good plot wise, but it also had several face-palm moments as well. 

Good:
Trick's story was very interesting.  He admitted he loved Bo because she was a part of -him-.  He told Tamsin in the flashback that if he didn't write a law it wasn't important.  This was a selfish Trick that was exciting to see.

Bad:
RH's acting kind of ruined the story.

Good:
Some plot progression with the wanderer.  We now know that Bo is in this strange relationship state with Rainer.  If you look at them fighting, she only got mushy after his hand was on her neck and hers on his (mimicking the 'mark' in 4x06).  This was a mark that Levi really REALLY wanted.

Bad:
If the Wanderer is playing around with Bo, it brings consent issues to light that will need to be addressed within the context of the show, and Lost Girl is horrible at that. 

Good:
Kenzi and Tamsin were very cute

Bad:
The bleeping triangle!!! It was said I don't know how many times this episode that Bo loves them both equally.  WE GET IT!!! But what is stupid is that it's been 3-4 years.  Who waits around for years for someone to pick them?  Especially if they have had a romance before.  It makes both Lauren and Dyson look really sad, and honestly the bromance between L and D is so high school and damaging to Lauren's character (Dyson's too, but he was already damaged in that way to begin with).  If Bo honestly can't pick between them, she probably really doesn't love either of them, since a part of love is a willingness to put in effort to make a relationship work.

Bad:
We need more Bo/Kenzi time.  Badly.

Good:
We are back to the old Bo - the one who will risk herself to save her friends.  Sort of.

Bad:
That means of course, that asshole!Bo we saw from 3x06 until now will never be addressed as a part of the plot.

Good:
Writing is on the wall for Tamsin.  In the flashback, she said she was on her last life cycle (what she is on now).  As soon as you process that and ask yourself how that could be, the show answers it.  Tamsin gave Trick Rainer's soul so that she could have her cycles reset.  So that she could do better.  Be someone that could live a good life so that when she dies, she can be proud of what she did.