Additional Q&A with Emily Andras: Part II

Here are Emily’s answers to three more fan submitted questions that didn’t make it into our live chat due to time constraints. Part I can be found here.

A lot of series do musical episodes… like Buffy & Xena. Do you see that at all in the future of Lost Girl – seeing as you also have some “musical” cast members?

Buffy set the bar pretty high on this one, so we’d have to find a new angle on it. How’s that for non-committal?

Was there actually a line in the script in episode 303 where Lauren whispers something suggestive to Bo? Or just a stage direction?

Imagine the sexiest, more blush-inducing innuendo your Doccu-lovin’ brain can cook up: It was ten times better than that.

What is your opinion on the love triangle at this point so far? Is there any possibility where the show might move away from the love triangle and focus on other dramatic plot points in order to create tension and conflict among key characters?

Love is amongst the purest human endeavors. There’s a reason every great story since time began has revolved around it. With regards to our little show: if you’re going to follow a character whose blessing and curse begins and ends with sex, lust, passion, and obsession, then romance is going to be part of the equation. Still, Lost Girl is more than the sum of these parts – which is to say, I take issue with the wording of this question (shoot me: I’m a writer and words matter). We often focus on other dramatic plot points to create story. And it’s disingenuous to suggest that Bo’s pursuit of romance doesn’t get the fans’ motors running…it very much fuels admiration for the show, DOCCUBUS.COM (ahem). Let’s face it: Bo’s exploration of the different types of love – familial, sisterly, erotic, and epic – is fascinating, and the audience, though divided, is clearly very engaged with Bo’s choice. So, to me “I hate the love triangle” often translates to “please, please pick my ship”. In short (snort!): do I want to watch Bo flip-flop between the wolf and the doctor forever and ever, amen? Not necessarily. But be careful what you wish for.

Now ask me who I think is endgame (I’ll never tell!)

10 Responses to Additional Q&A with Emily Andras: Part II

1. Sally says:

Regarding conflict, sketchy or otherwise, there are many un-answered questions that we might get more clarity on in the season finale (although too many open questions to resolve in just one episode). I still don’t know exactly what’s going on, but I’ll bet there will be some kind of either big reveal, or at least dramatic twist.

What seems iffy right now might turn out to be brilliant. We’ll see! If only the USA were able to watch at the same time as Canada, eh, SyFy???

2. thesaturnyear says:

I respect Emily’s answer to the last question. In my opinion, the question is worded in such a way that it’s clear what the asker wants to hear. And considering the site this is posted on, Emily could’ve just pandered to this audience. But she didn’t, she gave an honest answer, even if it’s not what the audience may want to hear. And I respect that.

3. Girl says:

Her answer’s fine with me. I appreciate her sense of humor and how engaged she is with her role as showrunner. I love this show and so many aspects about it, I love the mythology, I love Bo’s adventures and the dark and kind of dangerous fae world and what it means to Bo to be a fae to have grown up among humans. For me the romantic plotting is 1/3 of the whole picture of who Bo is, but not the complete definition of who she is or who the show is. :)

4. modernlover says:

Dear Emily Andras,

thank you for taking time out from your busy schedule to engage with the fandom and answer our questions with regards to the show. Your sincerity and humour are both very much appreciated by myself and many fans alike. In particular, I will like to express my heartfelt thanks to you and your writing team for having the courage to put Doccubus front and centre as the canon relationship of the show in season 3. The fact that the creative team of Lost Girl gets that love is love and doesn’t have to be gender-defined is amazing and moving, even if such an open-minded understanding of love is still few and far between in our modern day pop culture.

I was the one who sent in the last question regarding the love triangle in this Q&A. I apologise for causing any offence to you in the wording of my question, that was definitely not my intention. Perhaps I should clarify the premise of my question. I am genuinely interested in your opinion on the evolution of the love triangle (specifically between Bo, Dyson, and Lauren) so far since the beginning of season 1 up until now the end of season 3. How do you see the love triangle? Perhaps from both a writer’s perspective and a viewer (who also happens to be the writer)’s perspective. Also, my question on the love triangle with regards to the show is definitely from the angle of its significance to the plot, characters, and relationships of Lost Girl and nothing at all about shipper wars.

For me, I do not care if Bo ends up with Lauren, or Dyson, or Tamsin, or Kenzi (as BFF life partners), or a goat. I don’t watch much TV, the concept of shipping is still quite an alien thing to me. What I do care about is the quality of the story and the craft of story-telling. What drew me deeply into the world of Lost Girl is the narrative potential that you and your fellow creative team have created with this urban fantasy mythological world, these interesting and complex mortal and immortal characters, these genuine and sincere relationships between people who care deeply for one another, and these high stakes and epic themes that are also very much tied in with our modern day real world social issues.

In your words, “it’s disingenuous to suggest that Bo’s pursuit of romance doesn’t get the fans’ motors running…it very much fuels admiration for the show.” I do not disagree with the above statement that you’ve made, but that is just one side of a double-edged sword. At which point do we draw a line in between engaging the different factions of a fandom and the purpose that a plot device such as the love triangle serves to the story at hand. As much as the “Team” wars have generated conversations and engagement, they are also costing many fans their involvement with and loyalty to the show, all in the same breath. I have three main issues with the existence of the love triangle on Lost Girl that I will like to respectfully share with you.

Firstly, I’m not sure if the Lost Girl team has noticed (just take a look at Showcase’s blog and Lost Girl’s official Facebook page), most fans’ reactions to the dramatic plot points in season 3 have been filtered heavily through shipper lenses. The discussions of episodes have veered away from the dramatic plot points (besides the love triangle) that you and your team have painstakingly came up with to create story, towards a kind of competition between the fans of three specific pairings (ie. Doccubus, DyBo, and TamBo) about how good or bad the actions of the characters in one’s chosen pairing make them look and how that fuels or negates their chances of being with Bo. I hate this reduction of story into petty relationship drama, and fans from all sides have been guilty of this, myself included. I personally love the down-a-rabbit-hole alternate reality vibe during “The Game” in 3.08 and the role-reversal in a subconscious dreamscape during “The Ceremony” in 3.09. Those were some ambitious and audacious dramatic plot moves that reaffirmed my view of Lost Girl as a television series that dares to take chances and risk expectations. Unfortunately, the appreciation of the narrative purpose of such dramatic plot points are often sacrificed at the expense of petty shipper wars that stem from the promotion of the love triangle (and now a love square with the subtextual inclusion of Tamsin).

Secondly, at this point, how effective is the love triangle in relation to the key characters’ growth? I get that Bo is a succubus and will have several romantic options presented before her. I am open to the various relationships that Bo gets to explore with various characters as long as they feel organic and convincing, but not at the expense of hindering or backtracking character’s growth. Bo is our lead character – she is supposed to be strong and the heroine of the show. However, Dyson’s protective nature often leads him to understate her strength and overstate his own importance. Prime example this season being 3.09 where Bo’s Dawning became more like Dyson’s Dawning. Dyson stunts Bo’s growth as a character. If she were with him, we would never be able to see her flourish and grow into the person that she is capable of being. All we would see is Dyson’s idea of Bo and his ideal of what a woman should be. Dyson is the leading man of the show – he is supposed to be strong and dependable. But all I’ve seen so far is a 1500 years old character who has lost his chance to be with the woman he loves yet does very little to try to move on with dignity and try to live his own life to the fullest. Since the end of season 1 where the Norn took away his love, Dyson’s storyline is all about his lost love, and by the end of season 2 where Kenzi retrieved back his love, his storyline is still all about his found love that cannot be reciprocated. Where is Dyson’s growth as a character? Why does he have to be constantly held back by his tortured love for Bo? Can’t he have a separate storyline away from the love triangle? Lauren is a secondary character who has grown to become integral to both the show and Bo. From her ambiguous allegiances in season 1 to her heartfelt connection with Bo in season 2 and finally to her entering into a relationship with a succubus in season 3, we have seen considerable growth in Lauren’s character. However, by default of her association with the love triangle, Lauren’s character will always be at the behest of Bo’s choice (or lack thereof). When Bo continually oscillates between Dyson and Lauren (and now to some degree Tamsin too), it makes a fool out of Lauren’s devotion and makes Bo look like an indecisive woman with little to no emotional conviction. Just how effective is the love triangle in helping these characters grow from it all?

Thirdly, I agree with you that “Bo’s exploration of the different types of love – familial, sisterly, erotic, and epic – is fascinating, and the audience, though divided, is clearly very engaged with Bo’s choice”. I get that at the heart of Bo is not so much sex but pure love for the people in her life. The relationships that Bo has on the show helps her to grow and find herself through the process. It’s trickier for her because she is on one hand learning to define her identity as a Fae and on the other trying to assimilate that with her human upbringing and values. Kenzi, Lauren, Dyson, and Trick are all important to her in different ways. As such, what I’m really hoping to see is a realistic exploration of these different types of love, instead of the false imposition of a love triangle. Why does it always have to be Dyson vs. Lauren? Why can’t we have Bo and Dyson dealing with their own issues between themselves, and Bo and Lauren working out their own issues between themselves? One lover’s weakness doesn’t have to be another rival lover’s hold over Bo. For example, why do we never see Bo and Lauren talk about Lauren’s mortality and yet we see Dyson talking about how he would be with Bo in 100 years’ time since Lauren is only mortal and surely Bo would want to be with him after Lauren has died? Bo and Dyson didn’t work out because of their own issues – Dyson is territorial and Bo is a succubus, Dyson is controlling and Bo plays by her own rules, Dyson’s love got taken away by the Norn and Bo has moved on and fallen in love with Lauren since then. Bo and Lauren also have their own issues – a truckload of them – Bo is Fae and Lauren is human, Bo is hot-headed and Lauren is logical, Lauren often negotiates between her personal loyalties and her professional allegiances, Bo can’t be physically monogamous even if she has chosen to be emotionally monogamous to Lauren. There are so many ways to create tension and conflict among these characters based on their own issues, instead of pitting them against one another.

To conclude, I hope you will not find me impertinent for sharing my concerns about the love triangle in such a frank manner. I understand the gap that sometimes exist between a writer’s job to tell a good story and the expectations of a viewer to be rewarded with the storyline that they want to see. But I believe that chasm can be bridged as long as our aim is the same – we all love the show dearly and want to see it run for as many seasons as possible. So as long as the writers stay true to the characters and go where the best story leads, we the viewers will always have your back.

• Mahlers5th says:

What a wonderful, nuanced, eloquent answer! Thank you.

But I have one major joint of disagreement: I think it is the fans, not Emily & company, who have been overly focused on the love triangle/quadrangle elements in S3 — and I include myself in the group that despaired when Bo told Lauren she’d never forgive her, or what-the-fucked when she seemed to enjoy feeding off Tamsin a little too much, and wrung hands when she was carrying Dyson’s baby in the Temple fantasy. But when all is said and done, Bo’s passing attraction toTamsin and the lingering fantasies she may entertain about a surburban white-picket-fence relationship with Dyson really do not overshadow her deep and abiding love for Lauren. I think the writers have done a superlative job of presenting a full, rich, nuanced, genuine love relationship in Bo and Lauren — one that has included painful sacrifices on both sides (notably Lauren acknowledging Bo needs to feed with others in the wonderful episode 304), guilt about not being the full partner each wishes to be for the other; insecurity about meeting each other’s needs; fleeting envy or jealousy; conflict; disappointment; hurt feelings, etc. Relationships can be conflictial yet still be mature and basically loving. Tamsin and Dyson have never posed any serious threat to Bo and Lauren’s bond. At various points throughout season 3, from episode 301 through 312, Bo has repeatedly expressed and renewed her commitment to Lauren. I don’t see that she has seriously betrayed or deviated from that commitment.

What precipitated the break had nothing to do with “triangles” or “quadrangles” but tensions inherent in the relationship itself. Lauren has been feeling lost, hemmed in, and maybe a little tired of playing second fiddle to Bo’s “career” (again, a realistic and common problem in many loving, committed relationships). Bo has been caught up in her own evolution (“it’s been all about me”) — not to mention coming to terms with the darkness within, a will to dominate and subjugate that is directly in conflict with her love for Lauren. How that tension is resolved will be (I hope) the focus of the finale, though I hardly expect a resolution — more likely the literal cliffhanger we’ve been seeing in the promos!

• Mahlers5th says:

One other thing: if the writers were “spicing things up” in having Bo feed off Tamsin or fantasy-carry Dyson’s baby, I can’t see crucifying them for that. Emily is answering to others besides the fandom, and the product has to sell. That’s just a fact of life for showrunners. So sue her.

5. Rozeli de Souza says:

I believe in a more practical solution. Through the show, she shows a feeling so deep and pure for each other, that the best solution would transform into a Lauren Fae. So the two veveriam this love forever … What do you say?

6. Lawnsprite says:

Making Lauren Fae is not a good end game. Humanity keeps Bo grounded and thus is main reason she resists the darkness. Lauren is the ideal partner along with Kenzi. Bo chose humans over fae for a reason. Dyson judged her harshly and quite frankly tries to tame her. Lauren allows Bo and accepts her as a whole: the good and the bad.

As for Tamsin… I love the character. There is more to explore and I still don’t thin Hale’s actor is fully available since his other show was renewed. The Morrigan. Now has two rogue fae to deal with right now. For those she aren’t a fan of Tamsin please keep in mind we have gained another bad ass female character. I can’t think of another show that has at least four strong women driving a show.

• Parker says:

I think before the series is done, at least one of our humans will become Fae. I think initially Bo needed Kenzi and Lauren to ground her in her humanity among all the new Fae she encountered. However, as she grows to become more Fae, she will probably learn to do that on her own. She can’t depend on Kenzi or Lauren to be that grounding force forever since they can’t live as long as Bo. You can already see her doing that in the euthanasia scene. So, if she doesn’t “NEED” Kenzi or Lauren to be human for her, I can see the show turning one of them Fae…. most likely Kenzi because y’know… BFF and all.

7. Parker says:

BTW, great post modernlover!!